Thursday, January 22, 2009

BRIE ME! My newest culinary obsession...


Last weekend was our Girl's Birthday Weekend.  In our family, the guys (DH, FIL, and BIL) all have birthdays in the fall, and the girls are all in the winter (MIL, SIL, and me).  So we celebrate annually, the guys in November (usually golfing)  and the gals have our get-together weekend in Jan/Feb and usually do an outing.  This year, due to my current VERY preggo status, we decided to have a mellow girl's weekend.  Jamie (SIL) thought of the best theme- "Favorite Things" (think Oprah's annual  favorite things give-away show.)  We decided that in addition to the gift swap (which was a BLAST- such a fun idea to give AND to get!)  that we would forego our usual shopping day excursion and just have a nice luncheon at a cozy little cafe in Portage.  

I can't remember the name of the little cafe, and I really regret not bringing my camera to take pictures- it was cozy and cute and eclectic, and the food was terrific.  I had the most amazing sandwich- definitely a preggo mama's dream come true- an "Adult Grilled Cheese".  This culinary masterpiece consists of brie, bacon, and apple on toasted walnut raisin bread.  It was HEAVENLY!  I've been craving it since last saturday, and have come up with a "lazy" version of my own using croissant, spreadable brie cream (pasteurized) and Granny Smith apples.  YUM!


4 comments:

  1. That looks heavenly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brie is one of my favorites too! I've never thought to use it in grilled cheese before though. I may have to experiment next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, pretty! It's like a cheese-fruit cornucopia.

    ReplyDelete