Monday, February 2, 2009

The bestest yarn for baby knits



I'm passionately in love with a sock yarn I just discovered this month.  It's Fortissima Socka "Teddy" yarn.  It's a combo of luscious super wash wool and acrylic.  The knitted result is almost chennile in texture and it's HEAVENLY.  Even better, it's self-striping, which is always a bonus.
I made myself some socks with this stuff over Christmas, and I'm addicted now.  I've almost worn holes in this pair already!

So when Metrodad asked me to "whip up a little knitted baby thing" as a gift for our friends who had a baby last week, of COURSE I had to find a way to use this new favorite yarn.





I settled on an adorable infant hat with ear flaps that I found HERE.  
Props to "Hey Julie" blog for the awesome free pattern!  Because of the nature of the yarn, I had to modify the pattern, which was originally done in stockinette, so it wouldn't curl- but I'm super happy with the results.  This little guy was super quick and the pattern is fool proof and leaves room for lots of personalization options.  For mine, I added removable, tassled ties (that hook onto buttons attached to the ear flaps) and a tassel on the top.  I've got hat envy!


I'm now working on one to match these teensy pink shoes (also in the Fortissima sock yarn of course) for OUR new baby, due in 2 weeks.  I need to embellish these, but haven't quite decided what I want to do yet...
I love knitting little booties!  So quick & Fun!

10 comments:

  1. Adorable stuff! I just finished a baby sweater myself....

    Btw, I found you via a Google alert. My husband has been a daddy blogger for the last 5 years and he's known as MetroDad. How funny!
    http://metrodad.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog.. you're doing a GREAT job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hat and booties are so cute. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute are those! I love them! makes me want to stay at home and just cuddle in them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you did this. I wish I could knit. One of these days I'm going to take a class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, those are precious! I want a hat like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi... just popping in! You have a lovely blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting... I got the layout from the Cutest blog on the block
    http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/index.php
    Korie (creativity shared)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hat is TOO adorable! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice work! Every one of your items are just prescious! I wish so badly I knew how to do something like this! Maybe some day.

    ReplyDelete